Invasive species are introduced and spread in a variety of ways, including:
- as goods such as plant products, firewood, hay, or wood packaging;
- as live food imports;
- as horticultural imports;
- through vehicles such as aircraft, commercial and recreational boats;
- ballast water from large ships; and
- wildlife disease
Invasive plants are introduced and spread by:
- Improper disposal of garden plants. Please do not recycle garden debris into public parks or open areas such as ditches. Never compost. Instead, bag and incinerate at your local landfill.
- Unintentional dispersal. Without their natural predators and pathogens, invasive plants spread quickly all on their own!
- Intentionally as garden ornamentals. Please do not trade or purchase known invasive plants. To learn more, visit the section for Gardeners under You Can Help.